... Россия, India, Italy

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Suzdal by Bus

After my last out of town bus trip I was  more than a little nervous about taking another bus trip but since the hotel neglected to arrange the tour as agreed I decided to suck it up. It was surprisingly easy.

The information I have says that there is a route 2 bus between Vladimir and Suzdal that goes between the 2 bus stations. The Suzdal bus station is 2 km out of town but once you get to the Suzdal station the driver will sell an additional ticket for the drive down the main street. However, this is an hour long trip and they sell more tickets than seats. The trip out wasn't a problem because it was early enough that the bus was not full. For the trip back I caught the bus in town to get back to the bus station. I could tell when we were close to the station as all the older women started to stand up in anticipation. I had automatically moved to the back of the bus since the older people were crowding in at the front. The bus pulls in and the doors pop open and the old folks begin jostling their way off the bus. I realized then the excitement was all about getting a seat on the way back to Vladimir. The back door of the bus popped open and I leapt for the curb. I strolled into the bus station 1/2 a step before the rest of the passengers and was greeted by a dim hallway with closed doors. (Like almost every building here). I turn to my right and recognize the sign for ticket booth on the door I almost was passed. I was first to buy my ticket, which included a seat and I was understood the first time I asked. (None of the old folks were left standing either).  This is the first day I don't feel completely hopeless. 

Suzdal is a sleepy little town surrounding the Klyazma River and is primarily visited for its churches, monastery and convent and is known for the bells that ring out every hour from the monastery.



Recording from the Bell Tower - Suzdal - The Ensemble Of the Saviour Monastery of  St. Euthymius - Belfry

The original settlement has been dated back to the first half of the 10th C. But it is first mentioned in the Russian Chronicles as 990. Through the 12th century and into the early 13th century Suzdal was the capital of the principality. However as the sons of the prince settled further down river the political power became more centralized in Vladimir.  




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home