... Россия, India, Italy

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Culture Shock Review

How shocked am I ? A little. The city looks like it's in the middle of a war zone - crumbling and dirty. I've always wondered about construction of things like roads - what's under the pavement. Here there's no wondering because you can see three layers - gravel, sand, bricks, stone pavers.

How smelly is it? Some, but no worse than the Venice canals. I Don't know why people make so much of the smell.

How expense /cheap is it? Breakfast cost me 20 cents, lunch (street vendor) 70 cents, 1L bottle water 60 cents, dinner $3.00 (good sit down restaurant full of Indians), 45 minute taxi ride from airport $4.50, extra 1/2 day at hotel to checkout at 6pm $30 (good hotel tho).

How hot is it? I have no idea but way hotter then I like.

How's the food? Hotter then I'd like and there's no yogurt to cut the heat. White rice, white flour. The bread is amazing.

The poor? Yes, people don't live by western standards and seem to be very poor, but I saw fewer beggars in all of today than if I were walk from my place to downtown in Calgary. I have read that you can tell the real beggars from the fakes easily. The real beggars have no where to keep their stuff and have it with them on the street. By that standard I saw no beggars today - no even the maimed limbs. Can that be?

Most surprising? The architecture. Every building seems to be built in a different style - and like with the roads, you can see layers on most of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home