... Россия, India, Italy

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Fed Up Fed Up Fed Up

When you plan a trip to India you start to get advice from everyone. Anything from don't drink the water to how to go to the Kalighat Temple without having your shoes stolen. Some of it is good and some so racist you want to gag. No one discusses how helpful India service staff is for the smallest most basic things and how infuriating this can be.

I stepped off the plane in Mumbai and walked into the first bathroom. Many of the stalls were occupied so I wandered down the row looking for one with the green open indicator on the lock. The attendant then pointed to an empty stall (which I was already heading into) and handed me my share of toilet paper. (Traditional Indians don't use toilet paper so they don't know how much is required). She then entered the stall and wiped the seat with a dirty rag. I went into the adjacent stall because really, like I'm going to wait for a dirty seat. (Toilet seats here are usually wet and I carry anti-bacterial wet wipes, so no problem). Come out of the stall and try to wash my hands. Only 1 in 3 of the sinks had soap. The attendant stands beside the paper towel and hands me two paper towels - you know, because it is so hard to pull these out of the dispenser myself. And I think I'm supposed to be grateful for the service. All I can think is 'dude I understand how to take a piss. It doesn't require this much help'.

This level of assistance is applied to everything but often just slow enough that it's irrelevant. If you do not let yourself be served it can escalate to an argument. Never get into this argument; it leads to crappy, slightly hostile service you can not get away from. In your hotel it will last days and spread amongst hotel staff members.

So my options are to be so fast it's done before they can offer, or, expect the service and tip well for it. I waffle back and forth depending on my mood.

I find it very frustrating. I feel like I'm robbed of my independence and self-sufficiency - ideals that are not valued here.

5 Comments:

  • Yeah, India has adopted some western ideals just like Yoga, a popular practice, adopted by the western culture. A bit of give and take since the world is becoming a smaller place due to globalization.

    Being a tourist you were being given every little service since everyone wants to earn a tip off you. Believe me when I say, as a resident of Mumbai, no one has ever offered to clean my toilet seat.

    The indian style scarf that you have one is worn only by the muslim sect of india (about 10% of the population).

    You should have tried the Taj or the Oberoi hotels in Mumbai. They would be comparable to the fairmont in Canada. The less expensive hotels compare to the smaller hotels in Canada which too arent known for their impeccable hygiene (per reviews in expedia or similar websites).

    Many countries are bit by the "american bug". India is one of them :) Western countries too...take Canada. There are retail outlets in Canada that sell "American style clothing" - yes, that is what the storefront advertisment proclaims:)

    Looking forward to having lunch when you get back.

    By Blogger aipnse, at 11:06 AM  

  • I completely agree. It would have been easy to pick good hotels and AC taxis with English speaking guides. But what fun would that have been? For me trips are as much about the time dealing on the ground as they are about the sites. If I just wanted to see the Taj I could look at photos.

    The head scarf isn't for modesty as much as it is for dirt and smog. Even men on the streets cover their faces in Jaipur, Mumbai and Varanasi.

    By Blogger yarentisngl, at 8:39 PM  

  • Okay. I just got the feel that you were completely disgusted (with Fed up, Fed up, Fed up as the the title) and the fact that you felt you were robbed of your self sufficiency and independence.

    Was just clarifying that those people who were waiting on you hand and foot were just trying to get a tip from you and this is not the norm for residents.

    And I now also understand about the lack of hygiene in public toilets and hotels - you are slumming it out there and are consciously avoiding higher price venues.

    Couldnt reconcile most of what I was reading in your blog with what I personally experienced for several years. Guess wasnt seeing from the viewpoint of a tourist with a specific itinerary :)

    By Blogger aipnse, at 6:52 AM  

  • I went to the Taj Mahal for breakfast today. It was very similar to my experiences with the Fairmont hotels in both Banff and Quebec City.

    I ordered from the menu instead of having the buffet. This resulted in 2 screw ups with my order. The level of cleanliness was similar - a distinct lack of cleaning in corners, walls and to the edge of surfaces. But, they used a computer to total the bill. The last time I ate at the Banff Springs their cash register was down and John had to help calculated the GST. So I guess overall the Taj was slightly better. :)

    By Blogger yarentisngl, at 4:17 AM  

  • And if you know John (basic math impaired), me calculating the GST for them is HILARIOUS.

    By Blogger John, at 6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home