... Россия, India, Italy

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Culture Shock Review #2

How crowded is it? About like downtown over the lunch hour; not as bad as the Stampede midway.

How safe is it? I'm not really sure. There have been a few times I felt that someone was following me, or deliberately keeping pace, but there was some where safe to retreat too. In the first class waiting rooms people wander in and out and leave their luggage unattended without fear. On the other hand the papers are counting the number of rapes in the month. Every now and then I get a cab or a rickshaw and a friend of the driver hops into the front seat. I know that this is normal, social behavior here but every now and then I get a very bad feeling. Regardless of how I feel I always say 'no no no no no' and shake my finger. If that doesn't work I start getting out. That always works.

Scams? Indians keep warning me about theft and scams. There's a lot of concern that tourists will be taken advantage of, even by those doing the taking, as well as the tourists themselves. I keep thinking double the right price of $2 is still only $4 so who cares but Indians don't appreciate that attitude. They want me to play along so that there's a contest that they can win (my interpretation). I'm not sure how I feel about that. It's ok when I'm buying a scarf but not so ok when I'm hot, tired, lost and going back to my hotel. What does it say about the poverty level and general standard of living? If it's as bad as we hear then why not take the money happily? Too proud not to earn it?

Crazy dangerous taxis? Not so bad. Turkey was worse. Everyone likes to honk their horns but this is just a way of saying 'hey, I'm here'. Crossing the street is better too. There are street lights that are obeyed so the traffic stops eventually.

I think I'm most surprised by the kids. To some I'm a target and to others a celebrity I was in a rickshaw yesterday and in front of me was a cart full of uniformed school kids. They were staring and giggling. I waved which caused a great eruption of laughter and hidden faces. As my rickshaw passed theirs I waved again reaching just far enough out that they could touch me if they wanted but not so far it was obvious as an invitation. Two of the kids chickened out and a third gave me a high five with a squeal of delight. The day before I was sitting on the ghat steps waiting for the sun closing ceremony when I was approached by a girl selling trinkets, bindi powder and stickers, postcards etc. Every time I turned her down she would shake her head in disgust and say 'Oh my God Madame'. She sounded like a cynical 30 something. She was 8.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home